Articles by John Homan
Wooden Fence Checklist
Download article PDF
- Does the company custom build on-site or use pre-fab panels?
- Does the company use #1 grade Western Red Cedar or do they use #2, Chinese Cedar, White Cedar, Incense Cedar or "Western Cedar"?
- Does the company carry worker’s compensation and liability insurance? Ask to be named additional insured on the policy and get the certificate!
- Does the company provide references? Check them out!
- Does the company provide a warranty? Is it realistic? Get it in writing!
- Does the company guarantee the placement of the fence? Again, get it in writing!
- Does the company perform repairs?
- Does the company clean up the spoils from the holes?
- Does the company set all posts in concrete or crushed stone?
- Does the company have its own crews or do they use outside subcontractors?
- Is the company a member of the American Fence Association?
- Is the company a member of the Better Business Bureau?
- Is the fence constructed using aluminum nails and full 2" x 4" rails? Watch out for 2" x 3" framing!
- Will the company take maximum care for your yard, driveway, sidewalks, and landscaping?
- Will the company show up on time, stay on the job until completion, do their work right, and clean up when they are done?
- Does the company do work for high-end landscape architects, designers, and homebuilders?